News and Events
All conferences, workshops, and symposia organized by BSSE shall include women as speakers and members of the organizing committee.
- Dr. Mohit Kumar Jolly Dr. Mohit Kumar Jolly was selected as a member of Indian National Young Academy of Science (INYAS)
- BSSE alumni meet was conducted on December 14th
- BSSE alumni Paresh Kumar Samantaray has been nominated and recommended for the Fulbright Nehru Postdoctoral fellowship 2020-21.
- This year's IISC Alumni Reunion was held on December 14 & 15, 2019.
- Dr. Siddharth Jhunjhunwala has been awarded the Wellcome Trust/DBT India Alliance Intermediate Fellowship.
- BSSE student Akash Agarwal is the winner of the Algonauts Challenge organized by MIT. The competition was to predict fMRI/MEG brain activity evoked by images.
Aakash trained deep neural networks to predict these data, and his entry stood first in predicting MEG activity and 2nd in predicting fMRI activity.
As the winner, Aakash gets funding for travel to MIT to present his results at the workshop later this month on July 19-20. This was entirely Aakash’s own initiative.
For more details, visit the following link:
- Dr. Vaishnavi Ananthanarayanan has been identified as a “Cell Scientist to Watch” by the Journal of Cell Science. Read the article here.
- Dr. Vaishnavi Ananthanarayanan has been awarded with the "SERB Women Excellence Award".
- Dr. Vaishnavi Ananthanarayanan has been awarded with the BITSAA Global 30 Under 30 Award for her achievements in Academia/Research & Development
- Prof. Bikramjit Basu has been elected as Fellow, American Ceramic Society.
- Dr. Siddharth Jhunjhunwala received Prof. Preeti Shankar award for teaching excellence in engineering for the year 2018. It is an award given by IISc annually to recognize exceptional teaching among assistant professors. A related article on Connect, IISC
- Open Day 2019 at BSSE.
- Dr. Rachit Agarwal has been awarded a three-year grant for TB phage therapy development by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. The major goal of the project is to develop biomaterial-based bacteriophage therapy for treatment of drug-resistant tuberculosis.
- Dr. Mohit Kumar Jolly has been awarded as Outstanding Reviewer for 2018 by the journal "Physical Biology" (published by Institute of Physics).
- Dr. Mohit Kumar Jolly and Dr. Annapoorni Rangarajan have received the SPARC award by MHRD.
- BSSE 5th Annual Research Symposium held on 24-25th January, 2019.
- Dr. Rachit Agarwal has been awarded the "Sentinels Award" by DBT-BIRAC.
- New batch of PhD students joins BSSE in Januray 2019.
- Dr. Mohit Kumar Jolly has been awarded the "Ramanujan Fellowship" by SERB.
- Dr. Vaishnavi Ananthanarayanan is selected as an EMBO Young Investigator.
- New batch of PhD students joins BSSE in August 2018.
- IISc Bangalore and ICME National Hub at IIT Kanpur hosted the National workshop "ICME Approaches to Innovation in Biomedical Implants” on 11-12 August, 2018. More here.
- BSSE in the News - IISc researchers find cholesterol helps bacterial toxins kill cells. More here (Article in The Hindu).
- BSSE Annual Retreat held at Mango Mist Resort, Bangalore on 14 July, 2018.
- BSSE organizes 6th Annual Book Discussion on 13 June, 2018.
- Dr. Vaishnavi Ananthanarayanan has been awarded the Wellcome Trust/DBT India Alliance Intermediate Fellowship to pursue research on the "Role of microtubule dynamics in mitochondrial dysfunction during the progression of neurodegeneration".
- BSSE Faculty member Dr. Vaishnavi Ananthanarayanan is elected Associate of the Indian Academy of Sciences.
- Dr. Rachit Agarwal and Dr. Priya Gambhire have been awarded the "SERB Early Career Research Award".
- BSSE in the News - Nanomotors for Targeted Cancer Therapy in the Hindu dated 25th March 2018.
- Dr. Annapoorni Rangarajan won the DBT National Women Bioscientist award.
- BSSE student Akshay Datey is recognized with the Best Oral Presentation award in National Symposium for Shock Waves, Chandigarh, Feb., 2018.
- Open Day 2018 at BSSE.
- BSSE student Pradeep Sathyanarayana is awarded 2018 Student Research Achievement Award at the Biophysical Society Meeting 2018 held at San Francisco, USA.
- Prof. Sandhya S. Visweswariah is elected into the membership of the The World Academy of Science (TWAS).
- BSSE 4th Annual Research Symposium held on 24-25th January, 2018.
- "A short course on Bioengineering was organized by BSSE through Centre for Continuing Education on 22-23rd Jan 2018.
- BSSE student Aditi Jain received the best poster award at the ISHR (International Society for heart research)-Indian section Annual meeting of 2018 held at PGIMER, Chandigarh.
- New batch of PhD students joins BSSE in Januray 2018.
- BSSE student Puneet Singh is awarded a Post-doctoral fellowship at Harvard University
- BSSE student Preeti Sharma is awarded the best poster award at NANOBIOTECK-2017, 2nd Annual Conference of Indian Society of Nanomedicine(ISNM) held at Trivandrum on 6th - 8th December, 2017.
- Aditi Jain a PhD student of BSSE, is a Sun Pharma Science Foundation’s Science Scholar Awardee for the year 2017 in the field of Bio-Medical Sciences.
- BSSE in the News - IISc: Etched aluminium keeps surfaces bacteria-free. More here (Article in The Hindu)
- BSSE student Aditi Jain wins Bajpai Saha Award (Second prize) for the Best Student Paper Presentation at the Sixth Asian Biomaterials Congress (ABMC6) held at Trivandrum
- 30 Aug 2017 - Siddharth gives a talk at a CEP Workshop organized by Defense Bioengineering and Electromedical Laboratory, Bengaluru
- 1 Aug 2017 - New batch of PhD students joins BSSE.
- Workshop on Advances in Atomic Force Microscopy Imaging Techniques and Capabilities to be held at BSSE on 20th & 21st July, 2017. Schedule of the programme.
- BSSE organizes 5th Annual Book Discussion on 11 July, 2017.
- BSSE Annual Retreat held at Avani Betta on 1 July, 2017.
- BSSE in the News - A new combination of drugs for combatting Hepatitis C. More here.
- BSSE in the News - Mimicking nature keeps implants bacteria-free. More here.
- Prof. Bikramjit Basu is elected Fellow of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering
- Open Day 2017 at BSSE.
- Prof. Sandhya S. Visweswariah is awarded Wellcome Trust - DBT India Alliance's Margdarshi Fellowship
- Dr. Siddharth Jhunjhunwala is selected as the first 'R.I. Mazumdar Young Investigator'
- BSSE Annual Research Symposium 2017 to be held between 27 and 28 January 2017. Details here.
- Desiraju Vijaya and Rajagopal Rao signed an MoU with IISc on Oct. 29th, 2016, to support biomedical research in BSSE by contributing a generous amount.
- Workshop on Park Systems Atomic Force Microscopy Trends and Advanced Technologies to be held at BSSE on September 28, 2016. Schedule of the programme and sign-up sheet for demonstrations
- Joint Symposium between the Centre for BioSystems Science and Engineering and Mazumdar Shaw Center for Translational Research to be held at IISc on August 20, 2016. (Schedule)
- BSSE in the News - Alternative therapeutic strategy for antibiotic resistant infections. More here (Article in Bangalore Mirror)
- Computational and Experimental Studies of
Microtubules and Microtubule based Motor Proteins to be held at IIT-Bombay on December 14, 2016.
- Stem Cell Engineering Workshop by Shyni Varghese, UCSD to be held at NCBS between August 25-29, 2016.
- Review essay on the regulation of cytoplasmic dynein by anchor proteins by Vaishnavi Ananthanarayanan chosen as one of the highlights of June 2016 issue of Bioessays.
- BSSE in the News - Prof. Dipshikha Chakravortty featured as one of the "Women who have stood out in Bengaluru". Congratulations Dipshikha!. More here (Article in The Economic Times)
- New batch of PhD students joins BSSE in August 2016 - the fifth year of this programme.
- Open Day 2016 sees enthusiastic participation from students and the community! Photo gallery of the demonstrations
- BSSE student Akshay Datey wins Best Paper Presentation Award for his paper entitled " Bacterial transformation & needle-less drug delivery using a solar powered miniature shock tube - A sustainable approach in biotechnology" at the National Symposium on Shock Waves 2016 held at Karunya
University, Coimbatore. Congrats Akshay!
- KIC-TEQIP quality circle symposium on “Bioimaging and
Nano-Biosensors: Modern Techniques in Cell Biology and Diagnostics” on 26th and 27th May, 2016 at IIT Guwahati
- Program of the BSSE Annual Research Symposium 2016 - Cell, Tissue and Systems Engineering to be held on 8th and 9th January 2016. Venue: CES Seminar Hall, 3rd Floor, Biological Sciences Building.
- Alan Turing Lectures in Biology to be held between 4 - 6 January 2016 at ICTS Campus, Hesaraghatta.
- Applications invited for Gandhian Young Technological Innovation Award 2016. Login for entries here.
Bioengineering Around the World
- New microfluidic device offers means for studying electric field cancer therapy (MIT News, July 5, 2016)
- Customizable vaccines work against Ebola, flu (Bangalore Mirror, July 6, 2016)
- Shock wave therapy can repair injured muscles fast (Hindustan Times, July 7, 2016)
- Liver-on-chip accurately replicates hepatocyte metabolism, response to toxins (Science Daily, July 18, 2016)
- IBM's technology may help detect cancer early (The Hindu, August 2, 2016)
Past News and Events